A recent study out of Australia found that nearly 3 out of 4 men with slow-growing prostate cancer, that chose to pursue active surveillance, are not receiving the appropriate follow-up to monitor the disease.  These men are not getting the follow-up they need, and in turn might be missing signs of the disease worsening.  World-wide, prostate cancer is the second most common cancer in men worldwide after skin cancer.  Most localized prostate cancer is slow-growing and slow to spread, and may not need treatment.  Approximately, 70% of men on active surveillance with low-risk prostate cancer may never need additional treatment.  Alternatively, the other 30% will have disease progression, therefore making it crucial to adhere to the active surveillance requirements.

You can read the original article here: “3 in 4 Men with Slow-growing Prostate Cancer Fail to Get Appropriate Follow-up, Study Finds”

%d bloggers like this: