Learn the Function and Location of the Prostate
The prostate is a gland found only in men. Understanding the location and function of the prostate is key to explaining symptoms of prostate cancer and other non-cancerous conditions that can effect the prostate function. The prostate is located just beneath the bladder, between the penis and rectum. The urethra tube runs out of the bladder, through the center of the prostate, then the penis, providing the path for urination. Damage to the prostate is one cause of incontinence. In aid of reproduction, prostate muscles help to expel sperm from the body while secreting seminal fluids that protect and nourish the sperm.
What is the Prostate?
- The prostate is a walnut sized gland that is part of the male reproductive system.
- The prostate is located beneath the urinary bladder and in front of the rectum.
- The prostate makes some of the fluid that nourishes and protects sperm cells in the semen. Just behind the prostate are the seminal vesicles, which make most of the fluid for the semen.
- The urethra is a tube that carries urine and semen out of the body through the penis, running through the prostate.
- The activity and growth of the prostate is stimulated by male hormones called androgens.
- The main androgen is testosterone, produced by the testicles.
Prostate Cancer Free
Thirty Six Prostate Cancer Experts have analyzed the treatment outcomes of over 100,000 patients across the globe, following these patients for up to 15 years. The success of a treatment is determined by monitoring PSA for years after treatment. This data is presented to you, so you can see which treatments leave patients prostate cancer free. Watch this video to learn more.
UNDERSTAND PROSTATE CANCER.
What is Prostate Cancer?
Do you have questions about Prostate Cancer? Do you know the Symptoms? The Causes? Has someone you know expressed concern that they might have Prostate Cancer?
Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer?
Recently diagnosed patients and families should do all they can to learn about the tests and treatment options in the fight against prostate cancer.
Treating Prostate Cancer.
Most patients have options when it comes to the treatment of prostate cancer. Learn about your prostate cancer treatment options.
Explore Common Prostate Cancer Terms
To Learn More, Click on Any of the Terms Below
Help other men make better treatment decisions.
A $25 donation today helps us continue the groundbreaking working of the Prostate Cancer Treatment Study Group.