The second most common cancer in men worldwide (after skin cancer) is still prostate cancer.  Most cases diagnosed are slow growing, and may not require immediate treatment.  Therefore, a lot of patients pursue active surveillance.

According to a recent study in Australia, nearly 75% of men with slow-growing prostate cancer that decide to do active surveillance, are not receiving appropriate follow-up.  This could mean that important signs signaling tumor progression are being missed.

Researcher looked at over 1600 men diagnosed with prostate cancer, who selected active surveillance as their treatment choice.  The number of patients to have appropriate follow-up measures for surveillance protocols was 26.5% of patients, leaving the other 73.5% falling short.

You can read the entire article here: “3 in 4 Men with Slow-growing Prostate Cancer Fail to Get Appropriate Follow-up, Study Finds”

%d bloggers like this: